Wednesday, January 5, 2011

YSL exhibit at Petit Palais

I was overwhelmed by a black wall. It was covered with one of Yves Saint Laurent’s most famous creations, the black suit. Underneath each black suit was a light bulb that lit one at a time in order to help guide the viewer’s eye. This served as the most important part of the entire exhibit for me. As it made me realize the significance of YSL’s signature black suit. He was able to take a black suit away from the typical and boring, and turn it into art. I observed the light bulb as it guided me through a whole wall full of different variations of a black suit, each one with its own twist. Yves Saint Laurent was about taking something that was supposed to blend in and making it stand out. More importantly, Saint Laurent taught me what no fashion design class could teach me: the purpose of fashion is to take something as universal as clothing and use personality to express a more noticeable look.


This exhibit I saw in Paris and it changed the way I look at fashion forever. 
"fashions fade, style is eternal."- YSL

What do you think of YSL? 

No comments:

Post a Comment